Thursday, October 17, 2013

"Our Story" Part One

In honor of Pastor Appreciation (I LOVE my Pastor-Hubby), and to share with our children, I've decided to share "Our Story".  Here is the First Part...Enjoy!!


I quietly peeked at you through your partly closed office door and smiled.  I really didn't need to look...because I knew what you were doing. But I just couldn't help myself.  

It’s your daily routine, yet so much more than that.  

It’s like breathing to you.  Wake up, go in office, pray. 

It's what I desired and prayed for as a single, young lady. A husband, that is filled with godly character, spiritual wisdom, and integrity. 

God has been so good to me.



May 2005 ~ 3 months after we began "Dating"
(with the intention of getting married)


Once again, I whisper the prayer of my heart, the same one I do every time I peek.
        
       "Father, thank you for this man of God you've given me to love and honor.  He loves you above anyone or anything.  Thank you that he seeks You First. In doing that, he is able to love me the way Christ loves me.  I am so blessed to be his wife and the mother of his children..."

I back away, carefully, trying hard not to disturb you.  As I start the coffee and get the baby's bottle ready,  
I can't help but smile as I remember...

I remember back (has it really been that long ago?) to before we "dated" (with the intention to marry)...

...We sat on a few couches in the middle of a Christian Book Store.  Praise music played in the background.  It was nearing the Christmas season, and the fragrant smells of cinnamon, peppermint, and greenery mixed harmoniously together.  I nervously blew at the hot coffee I was holding with both hands (trying to give my hands something to do, I am a terrible fidgeter, yet, you love me anyways!).  I glanced over my steaming cup and caught your eye.  You smiled and continued telling me about a Christian musician you liked.

I smiled back, thankful,  I was the only one who could hear my pounding heart. Silently, I prayed, "Is this him, Father?  Is this the one you have for me to love and spend my life with?”

You suggested walking over to the small café nearby.  We gathered our things and bundled up, and walked the short distance.   Lights carefully hung from trees glowed, soft Christmas music played, and enticing sweet smells beckoned us to come in and stay for awhile.  

After filling our bellies with a blueberry muffin and more coffee, we sat back, and talked and laughed.  And laughed and talked. 

It wasn't long you received a call on your cell phone.  It was the guy who worked over at the Christian Book Store we had just left, and he wondered  if your “friend” that was with you had left her cell phone at the store (this seems to be a trend with me).  I look in my purse and then nodded. Yes, yes, it was me. 

We walked back to the Christian Book store and picked my cell phone up.  It was getting late and time to leave each other’s company.  You walked me to my car; and then you asked me something that I will never forget.  You told me later that this was the “pivotal” moment in pursuing a relationship (no pressure!).



Thanksgiving 2005~One Month before we were engaged!


“I was wondering,” you began, “can you share with me your testimony, and where you are in your walk with Christ?” 

I was taken aback (in a good way).  Wow. No one had cared so deeply before to ask me that.

I shared with you what God had done in my life, how He loved me despite me. I also shared with you how I desired for God to use me in some type of ministry within a local church (I had no idea what was in store!) and that I desired to finish school at Southeastern College soon.  

I asked you to share with me your testimony.

You smiled, and my stomach flipped-flopped, as you shared what God has been doing in your life. 

We parted ways and drove off in different directions.   "Use him mightily, God," I prayed,  "To further Your Gospel.  And if it's your will…may I be the one to walk that path with him."  

My phone buzzed and I look down.  It was you, checking to see how my drive was so far...  


Stay Tuned for Part 2....

It was youth night at church, and we were both volunteering. You asked me if you could talk privately with me.  I said sure, and you led me to a Sunday School room in the other building.  

"I've enjoyed getting to know you and I believe you to be a mature woman in Christ.  And I think you know, I am attracted to you..." 

I fidget with the scarf around my neck, trying to keep calm. 

"How would you feel about entering a relationship with me?"

This is what I had been waiting to hear! My prayers are being answered!  Hallelujah!

I opened my mouth to reply, "Well, I can't say yes...but I can't say no either."  

Confused, you turn and look at me waiting for me to explain.

Why did I say that, I thought, that's not what I meant to say...or was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment